Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Adventure

The world we live in is a huge place.

 

Growing up, I used to go out in my backyard a lot. It's not the actual yard that made me love going out there. It was the woods behind it. Sure, throwing a ball around and playing in the grass was all fine, but in the trees is where the real action was. Looking out into the brush and not being able to see past that one tree, or noticing something out in the leaves that looks interesting, was enough to get me going back there all the time.

 

I'm in my house right now. Every single thing within eyesight right now (save for what I can see out my windows), exists as a direct result of an unnatural action. People made every single thing in my room. I don't consciously think about that fact very often, but I sometimes get an overwhelming feeling of wanting to be outside. I'm sure other people feel the same way – lots of people say they just "need to get out of the house" for whatever reason. Truth is, people should feel like going outside a lot more.

 

My brother and I used to explore everywhere in the woods behind my house. Nobody really cared about the property lines, so a span of effectively every house on our road was our world. Even the houses on the opposite side of the woods didn't mind us wandering around back there. My point is, there was a lot to do back there.

 

A river runs back there, which we walked on when it was frozen and even swam in when it wasn't. My neighbor built a treehouse out of the wood from our old back deck, so it feels like that part of our house never really left. There's a huge hill cleared of trees that was supposed to be a road which was never paved, which is perfect for sledding. There are huge fallen trees, mysterious abandoned items, and perfectly secluded spots that are just right for taking a seat, taking in a deep breath, and just being.

 

Each trip back there was an adventure.

 

Everyone take a minute and look up "geocaching." In short, you take GPS coordinates from the internet and try to find a hidden stash at the location. You get to take things from it as long as you put something back, and write your name on the list of people who have found it. It's like a mini treasure hunt, a mini adventure. There are millions of these hidden containers around the whole planet too – you will never run out of adventures. Free entertainment readily at your disposal that gets you outside in a unique way that can be shared with friends: Yes, please.

 

It's important to explore. Finding new things, taking part in different activities, and becoming a new person from them will always be completely awesome. We should try to do as much different stuff as possible. And most importantly, think of those things as adventures. The world becomes a much more exciting place that way. Life is one big adventure, but make a point to experience every aspect of life as one, too.


(This blog was uploaded via e-mail because Blogger isn't working properly today. I apologize if it looks messy).


--
Robert Capone, Comptroller
accounting@mtp-usa.com
973-616-2600  x1036
MTP

No comments:

Post a Comment