Saturday, January 8, 2011

Brainpower

I am pretty sure a hefty majority of the movie-going population has seen the movie Inception.


I just saw it for the first time. I think that puts me in the "late bloomer" group of viewers. I feel like I understood the movie pretty well, but even then, I feel pretty absent-minded after seeing it. Its a strange feeling - hard to explain to anyone who hasn't seen the movie. (If you can't tell by now, the movie is impressive).


It is not very often that people are enveloped completely in any one thing. Generally, we can retain some semblance of multitasking - the brain is able to process more than one thing simultaneously, without losing track of one or the other. But in this situation, I was not thinking of anything else. All of my focus was going into the movie, with no distractions at all.


Its a pretty strange feeling being 100% focused in only one thing. Even when using all of your potential brain power, you still feel like you aren't doing much with it. I wrote in a previous post that people never completely put in 100% of their possible effort into anything that they do - as nobody is perfect. But we can still feel like we are putting in everything we've got.


So much variation exists in the levels of brainpower in everyone. We have IQ tests, and scores range from genius level to almost no thinking power at all. We have people developing cures for diseases, and people thinking of ways to try to pay their next bills. But nobody has an excuse to not try to use as much brainpower as they have at their disposal. We all have been gifted with a level of intelligence, and should strive to live up to those levels as best we can.


My hope is that people think as much as they can. More ideas means more possibilities.

1 comment: